[RndTbl] recommendations for good linux web server based photo gallery software?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 30 11:10:02 CDT 2013

On 2013-05-30 08:28, John Lange wrote:
> I've used Gallery (http://galleryproject.org/) and it's pretty easy. You
> shouldn't be intimidated by the SQL requirement. Most distro's either
> have SQL installed by default or it's an easy package.

Also, if the thought of managing a SQL database is what you find
intimidating, I'd highly recommend installing phpMyAdmin.  It makes most
of the tasks you're likely to encounter much easier to deal with.  As
long as you've got a basic understanding of relational database
concepts, this saves you having to remember SQL and MySQL syntax.

> It's been a while
> since I set it up, but if I recall correctly Gallery has a really easy
> web-based auto-magical setup. Basically clicking next a few times. I
> haven't tried the other new ones mentioned in this thread, but back when
> I was setting up Gallery, it was the only one that was worth anything.
>
> That being said, I'll second Sean's comment. I don't run Gallery any
> more because doing it yourself isn't worth the effort when there are
> lots of site out there that do the same thing. You'll notice that
> Gallery is struggling to find maintainers and it's almost certainly due
> to the fact that people don't see value in DIY.

I would also second that, unless you're concerned about privacy issues
with using off-site services.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/