[RndTbl] Using Neoware thin client as an ASCII terminal

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 15 15:38:24 CST 2013

Hi folks.  Just a quick follow-up on my round-table question at the last
MUUG meeting...

I still haven't found a way to access the serial port on the Neoware
using Neolinux.  So, I went hunting for a small Linux distro dedicated
to running minicom.  A Google search for "minicom linux boot floppy"
pointed our a couple...

http://www.asashi.net/pages/pitux.html
http://www.riddoch.org/linux/terminal/

... plus an excerpt from a book called Embedded Linux, which showed you
how to roll your own.  The second link above also explains how to roll
your own, but concludes with a link to his own bootable floppy image.

PiTUX also comes with a boot floppy image, as well as an ISO CD image.
I was able to get the boot image onto a partition in the Neoware flash
drive, and modified the Neolinux lilo.conf to boot from that.  (The last
part ended up being the hardest part, but I was kind of hoping not to
toast the Neolinux image, in case I want to boot to that.)

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/