[RndTbl] Anyone used Metz RJ-45 connectors?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Oct 23 06:37:10 CDT 2013

On 2013-10-22 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Has anyone used Metz RJ-45 connectors for Cat6 termination?
>
> I'm referring to these:
> http://www.metz-connect.com/us/rj45-connector-for-direct-attach-application
>
> I'm particularly interesting in knowing if they're worth the premium
> for when you have to do two or three Cat6 terminations in the field,
> not for bench work.

It looks pretty neat, though I'm not sure how much time it would save
over the CAT6 connectors that have the little pre-populate plastic
insert thingy.  The fiddly part in both cases is separating and
positioning the wires.

The part I find annoying on normal connectors is the strain relief
metal clamps that you must somehow get into place and get the boot
around it, as the clamps never clamp shut enough and the boot never
fits over them, it seems.  I always have to wire-cut some bits of clamp
off.

What sort of price premium are we talking?  If it's 25% more, then
maybe.  If it's 3X more then probably not.  Maybe you can bring one to
a GM for oohs and aahs.