[RndTbl] keeping /home contents with another distro install

Kat uniquegeek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:50:19 CDT 2014

Why does Ubuntu recommend you keep the account names you already had?  Is
this just a convenience thing for re-attaching the home directories, or is
there something else going on?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

No drives or partitions are encrypted.  Basically, my install of Ubuntu has
problems all over the place (including not playing nice with my ATI Radeon
HD 3450 after an upgrade), and I want to start from scratch with Mint when
I re-install anyway.  When I installed last time around, I made several
partitions and I put my /boot, /, and, /home (which is ext4 on sdb4), all
on different partitions.

(I have another install on another drive too, but that's a whole other ball
of wax I don't care about at the moment.  GRUB looks pretty messy.)

The obvious thing to me is to make sure you don't select "format" when you
set up your partitions in the installer (!), but I'm feeling paranoid about
"I don't know what I don't know..." before I commit...

Should I create a new /home on my install drive and change it to sdb4
later, or should I just let it get attached during the install process?