[RndTbl] Control panels - WHM/cPanel, Plesk, Virtualmin

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Wed Aug 13 22:49:38 CDT 2014

I know that most of you are "raw Linux" geeks, but, as a control panel user
on rented Linux servers (usually VPS), I'll ask anyway.  This affects a
decision about to be made.

I have had extensive experience with WHM/cPanel (crappy!) and Plesk
(superb!) over the years and right up to the present.

But, partly to save money, we are now looking at Virtualmin, which is part
of the Virtualmin/Webmin/Cloudmin family.

The question is simple:  Is this Virtualmin/Webmin/Cloudmin stuff a viable
alternative?  We don't need a huge array of features, but we need the stuff
to work properly, and to be user-friendly enough for us to use.  Reseller
and/or customer layers for setting up domains/sites would be desirable.

We are IT people to quite a degree, but not knowledgeable enough at the
Linux prompt nor of all the details of the Linux OS.

Also, does anyone here know whether Virtualmin/Webmin/Cloudmin entangle
themselves into the OS the way WHM/cPanel and Plesk both do (requiring a
disk format and fresh OS install to get rid of them)?

And finally, would anyone here be willing to give some paid help if we get
stuck or into trouble with Virtualmin/Webmin/Cloudmin?

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331