[RndTbl] Help with pv?

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:44:09 CST 2014

I have two identical Unix servers (Oracle T5-2, Solaris 11.2) and I want to
do some testing of the network redundancy/failover I've configured (which I
hope I've done right).

Each server has four network ports.

Two ports on server 1 and two ports on server 2 are connected to switch 1.
Two ports on server 1 and two ports on server 2 are connected to switch 2.

I want to do something like this:
root at srv1:~# pv </dev/zero | ssh root at srv2 'cat >/dev/null'
and get a running throughput rate while I unplug and replug cables, BUT I'd
like to have four simultaneous streams and four running totals. I don't
know how to do this. I'd rather not have four separate sessions open to see
this. I just want to have one session that looks like

 448MB 0:00:09 [ 112MB/s] [     <=>
   ]
 448MB 0:00:09 [ 112MB/s] [     <=>
   ]