[RndTbl] Another Solaris configuration issue - xterm

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Dec 15 10:54:24 CST 2014

On 14-12-15 10:39 AM, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Good call. Now when I log in, TERM=xterm. However when I size the
> PuTTY window to 100x55 and type a long command, it still wraps it at
> 80 columns back to column 1 on the same line, which is not desirable.
> The BASH version is 4.1.11(1)-release, and the environment shows
> COLUMNS=80 and LINES=65 -- different from before when COLUMNS=80 and
> LINES=34. Try a different termtype? Any other ideas?

That's because SIGWINCH doesn't make its way through an iLO connection;
regular X11 or SSH connections work fine, right?

If so, then the way to deal with it is the old "eval `resize`"
technique.  (More correctly, "eval $(resize)", but both work.)
Note that this command is supposed to work in any shell, the resize
command auto-detects whether to emit sh(1) or csh(1) lines.  If you're
using a non-standard shell, you may have to tell resize(1) what to emit.

Alternately, "stty cols XX rows YY" should work as well.

In some corner cases, you'll need to use stty(1) first, and then
resize(1) as well (or just unset $COLUMNS and $LINES).

Nowadays, it should be reasonably safe to put this in /etc/profile:

     eval $(/usr/bin/resize) && stty cols $COLUMNS rows $LINES

as all modern VT100-ish or ANSI-ish terminals respond to the escape
sequences resize(1) emits, and those few that don't no longer enter
weird modes as a result of them, and resize will time out in (IIRC) two
seconds.

Read the comments at the top of
https://ohse.de/uwe/software/resize.c.html for some background on why
this is such a PITA... some software only queries the kernel ttyios for
terminal size, some query the environment variables, and some query the
remote terminal directly.

--
-Adam Thompson
  athompso at athompso.net