[RndTbl] tock.umanitoba.ca NTP over IPv6 broken?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 15 12:16:14 CST 2014

On 15/12/2014 11:51 AM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> On 14-12-15 11:31 AM, Theodore Baschak wrote:
>> Wondering if tock.umanitoba.ca works for anyone via IPv6?
>> I'm able to ping the system, but NTP gets stuck in INIT state.
>
> 1. I thought the UofM's policy (so far) on IPv6 was basically "Ha, ha,
> NO" ?

If there's an official policy on IPv6, I haven't seen it yet.  :)

However, I think it's safe to assume that, for the time being at least,
the deployment of IPv6 is extremely limited and strictly on a test
basis.  I certainly wouldn't rely on IPv6 access to any U of M service
for production use right now.  (It's also interesting that tock's
counterpart, tick.umanitoba.ca, doesn't appear to have a AAAA record.)

> 2. Only (S)NTPv4 supports IPv6.  Despite the fact that SNTPv4 was
> standardized in 1996 and NTPv4 in 2010, many sites still only run
> v3-capable servers.
>
> I don't know if either of these items explains your issue, that would
> have to wait for someone from the UofM who reads this list.

The above is my personal opinion, and does not in any way reflect the
official position of the U of M.  Some settling of contents may occur.
Your mileage may vary.  Etc.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/