[RndTbl] tock.umanitoba.ca NTP over IPv6 broken?

David Milton david at dmilton.ca
Mon Dec 15 13:51:50 CST 2014

On Dec 15, 2014, at 11:51, Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:

> On 14-12-15 11:31 AM, Theodore Baschak wrote:
>> Wondering if tock.umanitoba.ca works for anyone via IPv6?
>> I'm able to ping the system, but NTP gets stuck in INIT state.
>
> 1. I thought the UofM's policy (so far) on IPv6 was basically "Ha, ha, NO" ?
>
> 2. Only (S)NTPv4 supports IPv6.  Despite the fact that SNTPv4 was standardized in 1996 and NTPv4 in 2010, many sites still only run v3-capable servers.
>
> I don't know if either of these items explains your issue, that would have to wait for someone from the UofM who reads this list.

The U of M is connected via IPv6 through MRnet; the network core along with with a one ’test’ buildings/networks are full IPv6 dual stack. Tock is an appliance and does have an IPv6 address with ntp version 4 (not SNTP) but I’ve yet to be able to make ntp actually function over IPv6.  The vendor claims it works, my experience differs. Theres not really much configuration as the GUI only presents a check box called "Service all IPv6 requests by default.” and that’s been enabled for quite some time. The administrative interface does work fine over IPv6 but ntp apparently does not. I’ve been told not to do any further work on IPv6 so I’ve been poking at tock occasionally in my own time but not to any great extent.

Cheers,
  Dave.

David Milton - david at dmilton.ca

The mind is like a parachute; it only functions when open. - unknown