[RndTbl] Help with pv?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Dec 15 13:58:59 CST 2014

On 14-12-15 01:52 PM, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> As a test I did this:
> pv -c -N One </dev/zero | nc -b 65536 host1 10001
> but all I get is
> ^[[45;1R
> on the sending end and
> ^[[63;1R
> on the listening end. And there it hangs. Both ends. This is after I
> set up the terminal-type in Solaris. Cursor positioning? Why wouldn't
> it be interpreted properly?

At the very least, you should be seeing a bunch of garbage.
1) confirm that you aren't running the exact same command on both ends;
they need to be reciprocals of each other.  On one host you'd run the
command as you show above, on the other host, you'd run "nc -l 10001 |
pv -c -N One >/dev/null".
2) confirm that you've exported TERM correctly to the environment.
3) confirm that, say, reset(1) works as expected.  (If it produces
garbage, you still have a terminal emulation problem.)
4) I assume the "-b" argument to nc(1) is block size?  None of my
implementations have that flag, so try different sizes and/or the
default.  With TCP Window Scaling, the default should be fairly good anyway.
5) confirm that terminal emulation works at all; maybe try vi(1) or
something like that?  (Remember ESC : q! always quits even if the
terminal is screwed up.)

Otherwise... dunno?
-Adam