[RndTbl] fire alarms

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Dec 17 16:48:08 CST 2014

According to this site...

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/FireMarshal/FAQ/SmokeAlarms/OFM_FAQ_Smoke_Alarms.html

"What is the proper way for me to dispose of my old smoke alarms?

Smoke alarms from households, containing not more than 185 kilobequerels
(kBq) or 5 microcurries (uCi) of americium 241, are classified as
domestic waste. A typical smoke alarm contains approximately 33.3 kBq
(0.9 uCi) of americium 241. Homeowners should dispose of smoke alarms
that are at the end of their useful life with their regular waste. This
is in line with the provisions of the Canadian Nuclear Safety
Commission’s (CNSC) Nuclear Substances and Radiation Devices Regulations
and the Ministry of the Environment’s Regulation 347 General – Waste
Management.
If household smoke alarms are collected in larger amounts or contain
radium (this will be indicated on the smoke alarm) contact the CNSC at
1-800-668-5284 to determine the proper disposal procedure.
At this time, the Office of the Fire Marshal is not aware of any take
back programs, but certain manufacturers may take back individual smoke
alarms."

This seems consistent with what others have said.

I know that Rona accepts some products for recycling, such as CFL bulbs.
  I couldn't find any information on their web site, but it might be
worth a phone call to see if they'll take them.  If not, I guess your
best option is just tossing them in the garbage, as unappealing as that
may seem.

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>