[RndTbl] CF/SD/MMC readers under Linux

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Feb 2 20:52:05 CST 2014

On Sun 02 Feb 2014 02:04:05 PM CST, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> I've yet to see a card reader that *didn't* work on my linux box.  Are
> you using a new enough linux (like Fedora or Ubuntu instead of
> years-behind RHEL/CentOS)?

I have four N-in-1 USB 2.0 card readers here that don't work with any
of Ubuntu 12.04LTS, CentOS 6.5, or OpenBSD 5.4.

Some reading online seemed to indicate that the problem is endemic,
mostly crappy firmware implementations on the readers.

Oddly, most of the single-function card readers work well - it's only
the N-in-1 style that seem to have problems.

> Ya, the uber-cheap ones seem to work well.  There's a cool mini 28-in-1
> one I can get in for around $6.  Your $2 is even better.

It's *really* cheap... both in price and construction quality.  But
what do expect for $2?

--
-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net