[RndTbl] Well, so much for Firefox on Linux...

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Feb 6 14:10:41 CST 2014

On 2014-02-04 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Adobe goes out of band to fix frightful Flash flaw • The Register
> http://feedly.com/k/1bsyJwR
>
> Note that there are NO further updates for Flash Player on Linux
> *except* through the built-in Flash player in Chrome. -Adam

OK, so what are we supposed to do if we don't like Chrome and Google's
omnipresent spying?  What if we really like our Firefox plugins?

I have Firefox noscript which also blocks embedded flash until I allow
it, so am I mostly protected as long as sites I trust don't get hacked?

Why support one browser and not others?  I mean, you're already porting
and compiling anyhow, is the decision political?  Snubbing FOSS like
that does not endear a company to me.

Are we yet at the stage where Flash can be abandoned completely without
too much inconvenience?  Are we to rpm -e our flash-plugin?

And you keep saying "there are NO further updates" but my current
version is from Jan 16 and I see the new update for this flaw is
already on the repo.  Sure looks like they're still updating it!

If the open source community can come up with a Mono, why not an
OpenFlash?  Flash is pervasive, yet it is obscure, unused Silverlight
that gets a clone?  Huh?

And why is it that Adobe can't program worth beans?  Their stuff has
become the #1 vector for malware.  Their record exceeds that of even
Mighty Malware Magnet Microsoft!