[RndTbl] Linux "mom ready"?

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Wed Feb 12 14:05:17 CST 2014

Continuing on the topic (or slightly off-topic) of tax software, especially
the online/cloud offerings, I switched from QuickTax to UFile in tax year
2007 and never looked back.  During an overlap test, both produced
identical results, but I switched because QuickTax was much too
cumbersome/obtuse and non-Intuitive (which makes my comments here on-topic
re "mom-ready").  Though UFile uses a similar "interview" style, it doesn't
send me in endless circles the way QuickTax did, and UFile doesn't produce
nearly as many irrelevant and often erroneous caution/"error" notices.

Also, UFile online allows you to catch up with returns as far back as 2000
(though CRA only lets you go back 10 years).

I've never been re-assessed, and my return even includes a T2125 for
business/professional.  So, I'm a happy UFile camper.

As a true aside, note that the current Netfile no-go applies to all tax
software and is expected to be cleared up within days from now.  It is
CRA-triggered by the requirement for a late-stage update to all tax
software that produces ".tax" files for uploading to Netfile.

Hartmut Sager