[RndTbl] DoD multicast?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Feb 14 04:45:52 CST 2014

On 2014-02-13 Sean Walberg wrote:

> Hosts speak IGMP, too. It's used to indicate interest in a multicast
> group. Normally the host would send something saying "hey sign me up
> for the stream at 229.1.1.1" and they'd start getting the stream.
> Every minute you'd then see a query to 229.1.1.1 from the router
> saying "hey local segment, is there anyone here that still wants
> this?" and it's the host's job to say "I do!". The 224.0.0.1 is a
> special case, basically a "hey are they any multicast listeners out
> here?" kind of thing.

Thanks for the tutorial, I've always been real hazy on multicast,
having never had a need for it.  Your theories are most likely
correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong though: while hosts may speak IGMP for
multicast, it's something that is basically never used by average-Joe
home users and thus Shaw would most likely disable.  As per one of your
theories, it would really only make sense if Shaw was testing a
multicast TV-over-IP concept.