[RndTbl] MitM on IMAPS?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Jan 18 10:11:18 CST 2014

Short answer: not in any practical way.

Medium answer: yes, but someone would have to surreptitiously obtain physical control of your phone long enough to install a new root CA.  (See Sean's answer)

Longer answer: of course it's theoretically possible, but the attacker would have to compromise a CA that you already trust.  Sadly, this isn't as outlandish a prospect as it should be, but it's still extremely unlikely.  I don't know how often Samsung or Google removes known-compromised CAs from the trust list, if ever, so I can't say how large the potential exposure is.  On the other hand, the only way you'd be caught by something like that would be as part of a very large, very sophisticated operation that was doing it to *everyone*.

You can issue your own certificate, signed against your own CA, and "just" ensure your own CA is imported into every client you use... I wouldn't bother, but it's an option.

-Adam