[RndTbl] GD package?

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 21 11:01:22 CST 2014

On 01/21/2014 09:58 AM, Gilbert E. Detillieux wrote:
> On 2014-01-21 09:38, Kevin McGregor wrote:
>> I'm setting up a Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS server at work for a client who
>> plans to install something called "Stori" (an Oracle-ish thing,
>> stori.orapub.com <http://stori.orapub.com>). The requirements FAQ on
>> that site is vague, saying "You can install our product on any Linux
>> server." Okay, so what else? "You will need the gd package; do rpm -q gd
>> to ensure it's installed." That's for a Red Hat-derived distro
>> presumably, so what's the equivalent for Debian/Ubuntu? The only package
>> I found was php5-gd, which seems like overkill as it brings in a ton of
>> other stuff. Is gd installed by default in Ubuntu 10.04?
>
> I have no idea if it would be there by default, but you could try
> running "locate /libgd." on your system to see if the library files
> are installed.  (BTW, on an Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS system here, they were
> already installed, but then this system has PHP and a bunch of support
> packages for a web site.  The package name for gd on this Ubuntu
> distro is "libgd2-xpm".)

On RHEL 5 & 6, the "gd" package installs a single library
(libgd.so.2.0.0, though the actual package version is 2.0.33 or 2.0.35)
and related docs, so I think all you'd need to do is run "ls -l
/usr/lib*/libgd.so*" to see if it's there already.  If it's not there on
the Ubuntu system, then it's a matter of finding and installing the
right package.  Searching online suggests these commands might do the
trick: "sudo apt-cache search libgd" to find it, and something like
"sudo apt-get install libgd2" to install it (though the actual package
name may differ).  There are probably any number of packages you could
install that would drag in the library as a dependency, so there are
many ways to get it installed, but I imagine you're looking for the
minimal set.  As Gilbert suggested, libgd2-xpm may well be just that.

See
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/how-to-install-gd-image-library-on-debian-155068/
and http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=868016

--