[RndTbl] Linux analogs to FreeNAS?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Mar 17 20:15:14 CDT 2014

On March 17, 2014 12:52:36 PM CDT, Grigory Shamov <Grigory.Shamov at umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>It was very interesting to listen to FreeNAS talk. But, is there
>anything
>similar (free, easy to use on a whitebox hardware) for Linux (I know it
>is
>not as serious system as *BSD but it is the one with Infiniband
>drivers).
>
>Goodling brought me Openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/) which seems
>be not that free (replication, HA, iSCSI etc. costs some thousands of
>euros). Is there anything else?

Not really.  That's the leader for Linux-based "appliances".  Of course, it's relatively easy to configure NFS or CIFS yourself under Linux, but you don't get the nice GUI.  You can use Webmin to partially alleviate that.
Most low-end and mid-tier commercial solutions are based on Linux; only the high-end stuff is based on FreeBSD.  (Isilon, TrueNAS[1], NetApp, etc.)
The bigger problem you'll find is that storage over IB is a very narrow niche; I don't know of *any* packaged solutions for that, free or commercial.
-Adam