[RndTbl] ThinkPad on last legs

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri Nov 21 18:05:37 CST 2014

On 14-11-21 05:54 PM, Brock Wolfe wrote:
> I am looking for any recommendations for a Laptop to run Linux.  My
> Thinkpad is on its last legs.
> Brock

Depends on what you want to do with the system.
Thinkpads (mostly W, T and X series) are always good choices.  L, S and
Edge series should be OK nowadays, too.
Dell Latitude and Precision models are good Thinkpad substitutes as a rule.
The more "business"-oriented the laptop, the better the build quality
(usually), and although it'll cost more, much more likely to work out of
the box with Linux without any fiddling or unsupported components.

If you're using Ubuntu or Arch, it appears that almost anything will
work acceptably well nowadays.

Used business-class or workstation-class laptops can be a better choice
than a brand-new consumer-grade laptop.

Also, Thinkpads can last a very long time - what do you think is wrong
with your current laptop?

--
-Adam Thompson
  athompso at athompso.net