[RndTbl] data recovery

Dan Martin ummar143 at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 8 21:13:07 CDT 2014

re stuff deleted on the original (laptop) drive:
I tried data recovery once a few years ago with a Mac - a program had destroyed a lot of source code.  I shut down the Mac almost immediately.  I got some software to sift through files, but recovered next to nothing.  Seems it almost immediately overwrote the files.

In this case, I got a warning that I was low on drive space even after the removal of files, almost a guarantee that any usable space was used.  To further complicate matters, it is a SSD.

re the external mechanical drive:
When plugged in to power and USB, it makes a faint beep, on for a couple seconds then off for a couple seconds - this sequence repeats 2 more times then it is silent.  I have not tried any drive diagnostics - I have not done it on a Mac before.  Can you do this through USB?

I am using the original on-board drive which is custom made for MacBook Air, as I believe it was fully overwritten anyway and I have to use the machine.

I have not touched the external drive since 2 failed starts.

-Dan