[RndTbl] Distributed/replicated home directories?

Adam Thompson athompson at avant.ca
Mon Apr 20 16:24:51 CDT 2015

I'm looking for the sweet spot between:

 - NFS-mounted home directories, which allow easy central management and
are portable across every workstation, but are (typically, and in my case)
IOPS-limited,

and

 - local home directories, which are tied to the workstation but offer
great performance

At this point I'm seriously considering things like GlusterFS, Lustre,
CephFS, etc., because the NFS performance sucks so badly for doing things
like a) running Chrome, and b) running VirtualBox.

Looking for ideas...

  [image: Avant logo] *Adam Thompson*
Senior Systems Administrator
*voice:* 204.789.9596 x24 | *email:* athompson at avant.ca | *web:* avant.ca