[RndTbl] Manitoba Hydro email database hacked (or sold)

Bradford C. Vokey brad at fsi.ca
Sat Apr 25 19:40:06 CDT 2015

Trevor Cordes (and myself) use vendor specific email addresses when we
sign up for services (it's easy when you control your own domain).

Manitoba Hydro sends me email to 'manitobahydro at yourowndomain.com'
Shaw send me email to 'shaw at yourowndomain.com'
...etc...

For several months now, both Trevor and myself have noticed spammers
using our Manitoba Hydro vendor specific email addresses.

So how (and when) did Manitoba Hydro get their email accounts list hacked?

If so, what else got hacked? Our per-authorized Debit information?!?

If not, then did they actually sell their email accounts lists to spam
lists?

I can see spammers sending generic *names* to various domains (ie.
trevor at yourowndomain.com or brad at yourowndomain.com) but I can not see
spammers sending 'manitobahydro' to various domains without some
per-initializing from somewhere.

Just my rant for the week/day/hour...

...P.S. If anyone wants to meet some desperate Russian chick feel free
to believe in the spam...

===
Bradford C. Vokey

Treasurer