[RndTbl] USB flash memory stick wipeout

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Wed Feb 18 08:31:12 CST 2015

Hello all,

I have had a wipout of 3 Kingston DataTraveller 16 GB and one Duracell 32
GB USB flash memory sticks.  Not only is the data lost, they can't even be
reformatted!  (The data loss is no calamity - it was a duplicate backup.)

The one misbehaviour I had thoughtlessly done:  For about 9 months long,
these sticks were stored in an above-counter kitchen cabinet, on the bottom
level, and that cabinet has an under-the-cabinet 24-inch fluorescent
fixture (tube and ballast) for illuminating the countertop.  I switched it
on and off a few times a day.  The USB sticks were stored about 8 inches /
20 cm away from one end of the fluorescent fixture, i.e., not quite
directly above the fixture (otherwise the separation would only have been 1
inch / 2.5 cm).

So, does anyone know whether USB flash memory sticks (and presumably flash
memory camera cards too) are particularly sensitive to electro-magnetic or
other disturbances?

And what about smartphones?  My smartphone was in a similar position for
about 6 months, but is still working perfectly.  (It's not there anymore!)

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331, +1-204-515-1701