[RndTbl] SourceForge pulling a CNet download.com boneheaded move?

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Fri Jun 5 12:27:27 CDT 2015

> So sad when short-term thinking takes over.

They never had a good long term monetization strategy other than eyeballs.
IMHO this isn't short term thinking, it's "let's extract as much revenue as
possible by any means necessary or shut this pig down" There's no long game
for them anymore.

SF were pioneers, but the world changed to more collaborative, distributed
development. People want tools that make work a pleasure and increase
communication. GitHub and BitBucket provide those, plus have a long term
revenue stream with businesses, not individual developers. Companies,
including my client, pay several digit sums a year to GitHub because the
software is good. I could never see anyone saying the same thing about
SourceForge.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/