[RndTbl] PDF Font help

Wyatt Zacharias wyatt at magitech.ca
Mon Mar 9 11:54:54 CDT 2015

I'm not all that familiar with the typography world, so I'm hoping someone
can lend some insight into a problem I'm having.

We have pdf reports generated by Jasper which are created using the
Helvetica font. My main problem, is a report generated by Jasper on Windows
is slightly different than the one generated by Jasper on Linux. I'm
guessing this is an issue with something other than the fonts, but to be
sure, my question is does the system generating the pdf need the font
installed to use that font? I assume not, since I can inspect the pdf with
Acrobat, or the pdffonts command and it confirms that the font used is
Helvetica.

My second question, is if the pdf is being created properly, would it
render improperly on a desktop that does not have Helvetica installed? If I
need to have the font installed, where can I find plain old Helvetica? As I
said, I'm not familiar with typography, but I can find every variety out
there of helvetica, except straight up "Helvetica".

--
Wyatt Zacharias