[RndTbl] 5TB - makes no sense

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Mar 13 17:14:41 CDT 2015

Once again the drive manufacturers have me scratching my head.

My business can sell a new Seagate 5TB USB3.0 external hard drive
(5400rpm) for $159!  5TB!!  What's baffling is that the cheapest 4TB
(not even 5TB!) bare drive is $200!  How does one explain the extra
$41?  Dunno... In fact, it's even crazier because by *not* paying the
extra $41 you are given the bonus of a usb3-to-sata adapter and a power
supply!  Scratching your head?  So am I.

Just so everyone knows, you can buy this unit, pull the plastic shell
apart and take out the normal, everyday 3.5" SATA drive inside and put
it directly in your computer!!  (This will void all warranties!)

I should note, though, that this is almost certainly one of Seagate's
infamous "not supposed to be on 24/7" garbage drives, like all of their
low-end drives.  But, still, 5TB for $159 is awful compelling.  In
fact, just for sheer size and backup possibilities, I'm going to grab
one for an extra, more frequent, onsite backup system.

The cheapest 5TB "real" drive you can actually use for something other
than occasional use is the WD Red for $270, nearly double the price!
The duopoly hard drive manufacturers are "pulling an Intel" now and
differentiating by offering 4-6 different drives in each size, causing
SKU explosion.  And the price difference between the cheapo ones and
the (supposed) enterprise-grade can be 300% (and we're not even talking
SCSI/SAS here)!  It used to be they all just made 1 drive of each size
that was good enough for all things (and almost always 7200rpm).  Also,
note how the price of a quality 7200rpm 2TB drive has not dropped from
where it was over 2 years ago!  I know, I just checked.  Gotta love a
duopoly.

P.S. If you want one, let me know!  But, sorry, I don't price compete on
the low-end so if it's cheaper at <insert etailer here> you can get it
there. :-)  (Prices subject to change.  Tax not included, blah blah
blah.)