[RndTbl] Solaris/UNIX root-like file access

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Mon May 4 08:01:45 CDT 2015

In Solaris 11, "root" by default is a role, not an account you can log
into. I'd like to create an account with generally fewer privileges than
root -- in fact no privileges at all -- *except* I want to make sure it can
read all regular files and directories in order to do a backup.

Is that possible/feasible? In Windows, there's a group called "Backup
Operator" which does something like this. Is the only alternative in
Solaris to make the account a member of the "root" group? I don't care
about e.g. device files and the like. I just want the account to be able to
back up regular ZFS user-type file systems.

Feel free to ask me questions to clarify this. I'm probably not explaining
it well.

Kevin