[RndTbl] pdf printer issues

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue May 19 16:50:51 CDT 2015

I'd assume that if you're passing the PDF directly to lpr, it's getting
parsed by ghostscript for printing.  If you print it from one of the GUI
viewers, it's likely generating Postscript out of the PDF file, possibly
applying some changes for page size, scaling & orientation, and feeding
that generated PS to lpr.  Somewhere in that process, it's generating PS
that the printer doesn't like.

I'd think the first thing to try would be to look at print options or
printer setup in the GUI viewer of choice.  See if any of those options
affect things.  Also look at the CUPS printer configuration and its
print options.  These will vary depending on the version and the printer
type, but if anything there helps, it's worth exploring.  If anywhere
gives you the choice of limiting the Postscript language level used
(assuming the printer supports Postscript directly), that's worth trying
out.  I've seen printers that claim to support level 3 or level 2, but
work more reliably with a level one below what they claim to support.

Failing that, then yeah, probably try other GUI viewers that might be
more reliable or offer more control over how they print.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/