[RndTbl] big scanner

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue May 26 15:01:33 CDT 2015

Funny, I have a Lexmark Pro 4000 at the office here, and we don't
experience that problem.  Of course, it does get used fairly often, I'd
say at least once every 48hrs.  I don't know how often we replace the
ink in it... office manager says each set of 4 inks lasts about a year
to a year and a half.  Note that the Pro4000 has a lot of options to
fine-tune power savings mode, accessible only through the web gui.

The Brother definitely does the same thing, as will every
"office"-quality printer; otherwise, the ink or the printheads dry out
and when you go to use it, it won't print no matter how much ink you
have left.

I don't print often at home (although I do tend to use large volumes of
ink at a time), and I replace the ink cartridges about once a year.  I
don't think you'll find anything new and feature-rich that will hold on
to its ink for more than a year.  My parents have a slightly newer model
than I do, and they replace the ink about every 18 to 24 months, so far.

Some inkjets have a "storage" mode which tries to prevent drying out, I
don't think the Brother does... not sure what would, nowadays, or even
if it's still a thing.

-Adam