[RndTbl] How Long Can HDMI Cable be Run? -- Blue Jeans Cable

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Sep 9 14:01:53 CDT 2015

Worse still, after spending another 2 hours looking into it last night,
I found that it is incredibly hard to tell what cables are what.  Sites
say that legally speaking, the HDMI group doesn't let cable vendors
label their cables as "1.4" or "2.0".  They are only allowed to say
"High Speed HDMI", which is near useless in telling you anything.

It turns out that it's not just rez but refresh that has to be factored
into your cable purchase.  I guess that's a holdover from HDMI's TV
focus.  TV's are fine with 30fps.  Most computer people need 60fps.

For instance, you *need* HDMI 2.0 to do 4k at 60.  But they can't label
their cable as "2.0", so WTF are you supposed to do?

I talked with my reseller rep at Startech and they said none of their
HDMI cables are 2.0 even though they loudly exclaim "ultra hd!" and
"4k!".  He said they are all HDMI 1.4 or 4k at 30.  Luckily 1.4 will also
do my required 2560x1440 at 60, so in my case 1.4 is good enough.
However, if I was super bleeding edge I'd be getting a 4k monitor and
then be stuck having to find a 2.0 cable amongst these wacky labeling
rules.

C2G's HDMI cables claim to do 4k at 60, so there's a safe option... unless
they are lying!

P.S. Michael is almost certainly right when he said at the meeting that
you have to manually add the 2560x1440 rez into xrandr once you have
the correct components in place.

P.P.S. It looks like 2560x1440 is doable with HDMI, just with so many
caveats most people can't get it working and switch to DP.  I've picked
out a cable and a new inexpensive VC that should allow me to get this
working.  (And vdpau, which I've wanted for a while...)  I will report
back in a few weeks.