[RndTbl] Free e-books

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Thu Sep 10 03:17:52 CDT 2015

I've been a happy PacktPub customer for a few years now, i.e., I've bought
some really good books (unprotected e-books) from them.

However, this "a free e-book every day" thing is a joke.  I tried it for a
few weeks, and it is their way of promoting or getting rid of books that
nobody is buying (often somewhat dated too) and/or books that are simply
lousy.  In those few weeks, I didn't get a single useful free e-book, so
it's a waste of time.  It also clutters my PacktPub list of books in a
directory/folder.

One more recent (1-2 years old) practise of PacktPub that I detest is their
fragmenting of a good author/book combo into several books on the identical
topic, subtitled "Intro", "Cookbook", "Guide", "Building", etc.  It's an
obvious money-grab.

By the way, PacktPub and O'Reilly are in some amount of collaboration, with
O'Reilly selectively offering some of the good PacktPub e-books.  Those two
companies do have some beliefs and practises in common, like unprotected
e-books and fostering some excellent otherwise-unknown authors.

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331

On 9 September 2015 at 12:09, Gilbert E. Detillieux <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca