[RndTbl] aggregating dsl lines

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Sep 29 13:52:16 CDT 2015

I disagree with Theo on this... thus illustrating that it's not a
"solved" problem in the industry!

What I've encountered using ECMP for point-to-point connections over
non-deterministic paths is packet-ordering problems so bad that I'm
better off using only one of the two links in the first place! (Remember
that one packet arriving too soon or too late nullifies the entire TCP
in-flight window...)
The following sentence is equally applicable to LACP as it is to ECMP,
by the way...

WiFi links are the worst for bonding via ECMP, other types of wireless
second-worst, DSL third-worst, and cable modems fourth-worst.  Over
plain old Ethernet, of course, ECMP works beautifully nearly all the time.

Then you have to deal with the fact that not all ECMP implementations
are equal; the Linux kernel still either hashes the traffic (thus NOT
giving you a 2x speed boost) or treats is more like an active/passive
failover pair (again, no speed boost).  As far as routers go, MikroTik
appears to be the worst offender... it *looks* like it does full ECMP
but it doesn't.  Cisco and Juniper routers, naturally, do it right
99.999% of the time... at least you get /something/ for your money there.

Then you have to run a dynamic routing protocol to make use of ECMP,
which drastically increases the solution complexity.

Pushing redundancy (and multi-path, and complexity in general) as far
down the OSI stack as it can go has worked for me much better in all
cases *EXCEPT* where it's impossible, and then pushing the multi-path
capability right up to the application becomes necessary.  Doing it in
the middle... tends to break, in my experience.

-Adam