[RndTbl] aggregating dsl lines

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue Sep 29 22:37:43 CDT 2015

> Aside: all of this begs the question, how are they getting gig out of
> crap cabling?  What are they doing, technically?  Where's Shannon's law?
> If it was always possible, how come this site is using a crappy slow
> DLSAM at all?

On the carrier DSLAM side, the technology is G.FAST:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast . It's a relatively new standard and
keep in mind it's still asymmetrical.

ActivReach is a proprietary Adtran technology. It's primary advantage over
DSL-style technologies is it's symmetric, it behaves exactly like ethernet
on the switch, and it's also POE. It works great to roll out VOIP phones in
places where there is no other existing network cabling and re-cabling is
expensive or not possible.

>  Why should anyone install CAT6 ever when their junky CAT3 can do Gb?
Confused.

Cost. You can get Gig from CAT3, but you can get 100Gig (or higher?) from
CAT6 for the same price. ActivReach is not cheaper than re-cabling in an
average situation.

Yes, hacks are fun and of course that's more or less what this list is
about so I get that. But being the only person on earth that can support
something that is probably not that stable and that people have come to
rely on is maybe not as fun in the long term so it doesn't hurt to consider
the commercial options. An "expensive" solution might actually be cheaper
if you count all your time and/or pain.

John