[RndTbl] [SkullSpace-Discuss] Re: [MBIX-Members] MBIX AGM May 4th, 2016

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri Apr 15 08:40:05 CDT 2016

For the average end user using their ISPs nameserver, it's... well,
out-of-scope.  But MBIX isn't for individuals, it's for ISPs and
enterprises who want substantially-enhanced connectivity.
If you run your own recursing resolver, however, whether because you
don't trust your ISPs, or you are an ISP yourself, there's a direct
correlation between how quickly you can get an answer from a root NS and
how quickly you can get the answer back to the end-user.
Without MBIX, the closest root nameserver most Manitobans have access to
is typically 20-30msec away from their ISP.  Ditto for .CA nameservers.
(The PCH and CIRA D-root servers also host a bunch of gTLDs, IIRC, don't
know which.)
So while caching helps a lot, that cached data does expire frequently.
Consider how many HTTP requests are involved in loading, say, the
Facebook homepage.  Consider how many of those go to different domains.
Now shave ~10msec off (potentially) every single one of those DNS queries.
By the time you multiply it out over a day's work... times an entire
ISP's worth of customers...
Better DNS is kind of like having better plumbing in your building.
No-one thinks about it: as long as the bathroom *functions* everyone can
get their jobs done.  But having better-working sinks, toilets, etc.
adds up to just a tiny bit smoother experience, and those seconds saved
do add up over time.

Plus, it also means you can still browse the 'net when the root
nameservers are being DDOS'd again :-)

-Adam