[RndTbl] process accouting, fields meaning?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Apr 27 00:10:28 CDT 2016

On 2016-04-26 Grigory Shamov wrote:
> sh               |   0.0|   0.0|  11.0|    0|    0|107328.0|   19284
> 3258|Tue Apr 26 04:17:07 2016
>
> First three floats are runtimes, then UID|GID; last is the date it
> ended. Googling brought me "memory" and "io" for the two other fields
> but I am still at loss.
> What is memory here? And why io is two numbers (read/write? Which is
> which?)

Man do the man pages for this whole subsystem suck!

"man 5 acct" is the closest I get to something useful.  From the C
struct shown, excluding the "unused" lines, I would hazard a guess that
memory is "Average memory usage (kB)" and the 2 numbers aren't io but
minor/major page faults.  That actually jives with the numbers you
provided.

You should be easily be able to confirm if it's pf's by running:
time commandfoo
(at least on tcsh)

My shell shows me pagefaults major+minor when I set:
set time = (1 "%U+%Sc %Es %P %X+%D<%Mk | %w+%ccs %F+%Rpg %Wsw %ksg")

If the pf from time lines up with what acct says then voila.

"Average memory usage" is a bit of a weird stat, but could be handy.
Maybe Adam can speak more to that.