[RndTbl] Using Shaw 150 mbps down / 15 mbps up / 1 TB data plan on 100 mpbs ports and hardware

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Wed Aug 17 08:52:06 CDT 2016

Thanks everyone (so far) for your reassuring answers.

John, specifically to your comments:  I do have the excellent Shaw-supplied
Hitron CGNM-2250, which they now offer for free for the Internet 30 plan
and upward.  The Shaw-supplied (on Internet 5 and 15, and previously on 25,
30, and 60) crappy Cisco DPC3825 (which was designed by a company that
Cisco later bought) has indeed caused problems for VoIP customers of mine.

Were you referring to the crappy Cisco DPC3825, or to the allegedly much
better Cisco DPC3848V that Shaw had been supplying for Internet 30 and
upward before they brought in the Hitron CGNM-2250?

By the way, the Hitron CGNM-2250 allows configuring 1 or 2 of its 4 ports
to be configured for straight IP pass-thru, so no reason to ever kick this
modem/router into bridge mode.  I've been doing exactly that for the last
few months with LAN ports #1 and #2 on my Hitron CGNM-2250 (on the Internet
30 plan) - Shaw was kind enough to give me two extra IP addresses for this
purpose.

In the meantime, I also just switched to the Internet 150 offer.  So far so
good - no hangups yet - and I'm getting 8-11 ms ping (as before), 93 mbps
down, 16 mbps up, and continuing excellent VoIP, on my retained Hitron
CGNM-2250.

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331