[RndTbl] is a font free?

Theodore Baschak theodore at ciscodude.net
Sat Feb 13 19:58:05 CST 2016

> On Feb 13, 2016, at 7:52 PM, Trevor Cordes <trevor at tecnopolis.ca> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to tell if a font is free?  A designer gave me some fonts
> that their web page should use (css font-face src) but I have no idea if
> these files are free or not.
>
> One of the fonts is Myriad Pro Regular.  From the net I can see it's easy
> to download, but that doesn't mean anything.  Wikipedia says it's included
> with Adobe stuff, but that doesn't mean it's free.
>
> a) Does anyone know if this font is free for anyone to embed in their web
> site?
>
> b) Is there a generic way to tell if a font is free or not?
>
> c) Does anyone care?  (My use scenario puts it on an important (read:
> sue-able) enterprise web site, so I may have to care a bit more than Joe
> Shmoe might.)
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like this one is not entirely free.  http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/350/web-safe-alternative-to-myriad-pro-font <http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/350/web-safe-alternative-to-myriad-pro-font>

The various discussions are recommending PT Sans on Google Fonts
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/PT+Sans <https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/PT+Sans>
Some also recommended Droid Sans
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Droid+Sans <https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Droid+Sans>

Theodore Baschak