[RndTbl] SpamAssassin false positives on DATE_IN_FUTURE_96_Q?

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 23 13:15:26 CST 2016

I know this is a really old thread, but it popped up in a search as I've
been trying to solve the same problem you ran into over 4 years ago.
Like you, I used -I in the EXTRA_FLAGS in /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter,
and also like you I've still been getting a lot of false positives on
other mail. Some of these DATE_IN_FUTURE tests have really large scores,
so getting them wrong really messes things up.

I think I found the answer in this bug report, though:

It seems the problem is adding the b macro to confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT,
or even to confMILTER_MACROS_ENVFROM, doesn't work reliably. Sometimes
sendmail gives the milter the wrong date - the date that sendmail
started, rather than the date of the e-mail. That's why the synthesized
Received header is in the past, making it appear that the Date header is
in the future. The fix seems to be to have the b macro in
confMILTER_MACROS_CONNECT alone, and neither of the others. I've done
that in my configuration, and so far so good, but it might be too early
to tell for sure. It doesn't look like this is only an issue with RHEL5
& clones, as it seems to affect Debian users using a couple different
versions of sendmail as well. I don't know if the latest version of
sendmail fixes this or not, but I don't see this config tweak as a
problem as long as the CONNECT macro handles b consistently. If this
does indeed solve the problem, it beats setting all the DATE_IN_FUTURE
scores to 0 in /var/lib/spamass-milter/.spamassassin/user_prefs as I had
done earlier today in desperation (and since backed out).

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/