[RndTbl] USB drive encryption

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Mon Jan 25 22:17:28 CST 2016

I believe Bitlocker would be your answer. It's built into Windows and
available for Mac (and possibly Linux?). It can encrypt any device
including USB drives. It is user level so does not require admin rights.
You'd have to take extra precautions to securely delete the source files if
you want them truly gone from the non-encrypted source drive.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Dan Martin <dan at martinmedcorp.com> wrote:

> I need a device to transport data securely between machines - from PC to
> Mac or Mac to PC, or between 2 PCs.  Problem is, I don't have admin rights
> on any of the PCs.  I also don't want to leave unencrypted copies of the
> files on the PCs.
>
> Preferably, I would want various forms of software on PC or Mac to read
> and write to the drive transparently after the passphrase is entered.
>
> Will a hardware encrypted flash drive do this?  or will it want to set up
> something on the PC requiring admin rights?
>
> Can anyone suggest a good, relatively cheap device?
>
> -Dan

John Lange
www.johnlange.ca