[RndTbl] Fedora upgrading

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 2 11:09:07 CDT 2016

On 06/02/2016 10:47 AM, John Lange wrote:
> "The advantage is you don't have to be onsite nor have a head.  Take
> that, Windows!"
>
> Not to defend Microsoft on a *nix list, but just to clear up a
> misconception, neither Windows Server or Windows desktop requires you
> to be on site and/or have a monitor (head) hooked up.

To install an OS update? We're not talking day to day use here.

I used fedup a couple times, and found it to be appropriately named. It
doesn't work unless you have lots of free space on the root and/or /var
partitions, and both times I used it I didn't find the whole process
particularly smooth.

For the last 2-3 updates, I used yum as John described, and found that
to go much quicker, easier, and generally more smoothly. I've never
tried skipping a version, and I don't think it would be a good idea to
do so. This is a test system, so I tend to upgrade soon after a new
release. I gave up on trying to run rawhide, though, after the system
got so badly hosed after an update that it needed a reinstall (many
years ago, circa F16).

Gilles

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>