[RndTbl] help! dns zone delegation wonky for AAAA

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Nov 22 05:30:10 CST 2016

Well, it's not a bind(8) problem.  Nor is it a generic libc problem, by the sounds of it.
The GSSAPI thing is a royal PITA - I have to turn it off for significant numbers of hosts in ~/.ssh/config, and that’s in an environment *with* functional forward and reverse IPv6 mappings.  (Yes, it's Kerberos-related.  Usually.  At least nothing else we're ever likely to run into uses GSSAPI.)
On the rare occasions that GSSAPI works (ssh as yourself to another machine joined to the same AD domain, for example) it's mildly handy but not exactly a life-changing feature.  TBH, it's more surprising/startling than helpful...
Also, my mistake - it was nslookup(1) that was deprecated.  And apparently then rewritten and un-deprecated in BIND 9.9.0a3 (see https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00496/0/BIND-9.9.0a3-Release-Notes.htm, #1700).
I suppose it could be a libc bug...  you'd think it would affect more than just host(1) and sshd(8), though...?  Or is that the extent of software that normally does reverse lookups nowadays?
In the problematic host(1) call, add "-d", and specify "A" records only using "-t", is the best I can suggest.
You can also influence resolver behaviour with /etc/gai.conf and /etc/host.conf - not sure if any of those knobs will solve your exact problem or not.  I think promoting the IPv4-compatibility rules in gai.conf *might* be useful to you, not sure.
-Adam