[RndTbl] mailing list error

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Nov 25 02:24:28 CST 2016

Apologies, but the MUUG mailing lists may have delayed/deferred (or even
dropped) emails to a very small subset of members since the mailman
migration in the last 2 weeks.

If this applies to you you would not have received any muug mailing list
emails during this time.  Some of them may have just come through to you
as I have now fixed the problem.  Ones over 5 days (or so) probably got
dropped.

If you want to see the emails you may have missed, you can view them in
the web interface:
https://muug.ca/pipermail/roundtable/2016-November/date.html

This problem only affected people who have mail servers that a) have
STARTTLS enabled, *and* b) have their servers set to only allow obsolete
encryption methods.  If you can update your mail server to the latest
version you will be less likely to have this problem in the future with
other email senders.  This problem will not occur on the muug lists again
because I have disabled opportunistic muug-as-client smtp encryption.

For those interested, the latest sendmail (which we may not be able to
upgrade to for quite a long time) has an option to fallback to
non-encrypted when the initial encrypted connection attempt fails.  That
would solve this problem more cleanly on the muug side.  Not sure why this
wasn't the default or available in sendmail the whole time, as the
"encrypt or bust" paradigm we're stuck with in v8.14 is lame.

No worries though, as 99% of the net still happily doesn't TLS smtp.  It's
more gravy than anything.