[RndTbl] procmail replacement?

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 15:06:40 CST 2016

>From https://lwn.net/Articles/416901/
Officially, the last stable procmail release
<ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail/> was version
3.22, made in September of 2001. As one might expect, there has never been
an official "the project is dead" announcement. Instead, only
circumstantial evidence exists. Although several of the FTP mirrors include
what appear to be development "snapshot" packages as recent as November of
2001, there does not appear to have been any substantial work since that
time. The developers' mailing list
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.mail.procmail.devel> has hardly seen a non-spam
blip since 2003.

>From https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=141634350915839&w=2

Executive summary: delete the procmail port; the code is not safe and
should not be used as a basis for any further work.

>From me:
This is for use at work by me, on our Solaris servers. Procmail is not
provided by Oracle, or at least not in the standard install. I was
wondering: If I'm going to go to the trouble to locate and install
something (i.e. no default is available) should I go with procmail or
something else? Maildrop looks reasonable. If I can get OpenCSW working,
I'll see what's available there.

Kevin