[RndTbl] Weird SSL agreement verbiage

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Dec 20 20:00:39 CST 2017

No hits on the net about this, so I'll pick the MUUG brains instead:

I just bought a new cheapo cert using the newly-acquired-by-GeoTrust-
who-then-got-acquired-by-Symantec (I think; it's confusing) RapidSSL.  I'm
a fine-print reader... and the confirmation email lists the terms I must
accept and this one surprised me:

2. RapidSSL may issue SSL/TLS certificates for sites including one of the
domain names above as the leftmost label.

Huh?  What does that even mean?  The more I thought about it, the more it
sounded suspiciously like they are saying they can issue a cert *to
someone else* (or themselves) like tecnopolis.otherdomain.com?  I'm not
even sure that makes sense.  Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

Maybe they're just saying they could issue tecnopolis.us to someone else?
If so, why even mention that; it goes without saying.  No other cert
vendor I've dealt with has bothered to stipulate that before.

Can anyone else decipher this verbiage?  Thanks!