[RndTbl] sawfish on wayland

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Feb 23 03:25:25 CST 2017

I thought this might interest some MUUGers.  This is mostly about
Wayland in general, though my query was regarding "porting" sawfish (my
favorite wm for 10+ years) to wayland (the replacement for X we're all
soon going to have foisted upon us).  The pasted posts below come from
the sawfish mailing list, mostly from actual sawfish devs, and other
interested parties.

I wouldn't mind hearing a MUUG discussion about wayland, if people want
to chime in.  With wayland, it definitely won't be "business as usual".

I have a question: is wayland just a linux thing, and if so, that means
the BSDs will stick with X?  I sure hope so, as that would mean X will
stick around, even on Linux.  Also, I now welcome mir (wayland
competitor from Ubuntu), as keeping things fragmented on the
replacement side will also keep people (who don't want wayland for any
particular reason) in X.

Weird... I can't seem to find any Linus comment on wayland anywhere.
He wasn't silent about systemd, why wayland?