[RndTbl] new ECC computer options

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Jan 28 17:46:21 CST 2017

On 2017-01-28 Adam Thompson wrote:
> My suggestion would be to save one of these from a landfill:
>
> https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/computer-workstation?filter_chassis_type=235
> <https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/computer-workstation?filter_chassis_type=235&filter_grade=14>
> &filter_grade=14
>
> AFAIK all have two (true) x16 slots and all have ECC.

Certainly an option.  Quick glances hint that the prices are OK, not
great, and these are probably off-lease 3 year old boxes?  Speeds
wouldn't be too much faster than my current workstation, so not much
point for me.  (Though good for someone with no workstation yet!)  I'm
sure the brand new Dell workstations would be fast enough :-) but I
want DIY, and cheaper. :-)

Do you know if those Dells generally have standard size ATX PS or do
they use one of Dell's odd-shaped ones to #%^@@ you over?