[RndTbl] Linux "write"

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 28 09:33:46 CDT 2017

On 28/06/2017 2:51 AM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> Can someone else confirm this bug on another Linux system, preferably a
> modern one that uses systemd?
>
> In X, as non-root:
>
> open a term (call it term1)
> open another term (term2)
> type "tty" in term2, not your tty number/string
> in term1: type "write <your-login> <tty-string-from-above>"
>
> replace your-login with the output of "who" if you don't know who you are
> logged in as
>
> please try both /dev/pts/42 and pts/42 format for the tty part of write
>
> example: write trevor pts/42
>
> When I run this I get:
> write: trevor is not logged in on pts/42
>
> Even though I clearly am.  This used to work perfectly up until last year
> (I think), and I think systemd changed something (big surprise).  No
> chatter about this anywhere that I can see.  Probably the last person on
> earth to use write (at least on F24).
>
> I found some other things to test that indicate that something is really
> amiss:
>
>> write trevor
> write: trevor has messages disabled
>
>> mesg
> is y
>
>> mesg y
> mesg
> is y
>
>> write trevor
> write: trevor has messages disabled
>
>> ll /dev/pts/42
> crw--w---- 1 trevor tty 136, 42 Jun 28 02:48 /dev/pts/42
>

> If someone else can confirm this bug on a non-Fedora (or a newer one) that
> would be great.  If someone can also confirm that the above behaviour is
> insane, that too would be great.  If anyone has some ideas on what to try
> next, shoot away!  Then I'll file a bz.  Thanks!

Works fine for me under SL6.9, SL7.3, and Raspbian/Jessie, all with the
latest updates including kernel.  Looks like the latest Fedora is
borked.  (And we all know the likely culprit, don't we...)

Gilbert

--
Manitoba UNIX User Group	E-mail: <gedetil at muug.ca>
c/o Gilbert E. Detillieux	Web:	http://muug.ca/