[RndTbl] new ECC computer options

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Mar 4 16:56:02 CST 2017

On 2017-03-04 Kevin McGregor wrote:

> This is no different from past architectures, meaning that like in
> the past motherboard manufacturers will produce AM4 boards which
> fully support ECC (at a reasonable price) and are "certified" to work
> with ECC *by the motherboard manfacturer*.

Do you know offhand which mobo makers usually "certify" (or at least
make very clear) their support of ECC?  I know in the past I've had
issues with chipsets/cpus that support ECC and boards that *purport*
to, but really didn't.

Also, do you know if these "enthusiast" AMD chipsets/chips usually get
support in the edac package (which can query the chipset and report
ECC error counts)?  It seems to cover only about 75% of the ECC
chipsets/chips out there, even ones that have been around a while. (It
takes someone who cares to write in support for it.)

> So, I'm just going to wait a few months for the dust to settle then
> buy a Ryzen with an ECC-capable motherboard.

Sounds great, I'll keep my eyes out (and you keep us posted too!).
Maybe when the time comes I'll price out a Xeon vs Ryzen comparison and
post it.