[RndTbl] GnuCash crash on secret payload in XML file

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Mar 13 23:31:34 CDT 2017

On 2017-03-13 Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> I have also been considering several other "roll my own" options for
> the last few years, notably MySQL/MariaDB/PHP.  Being a heavy-duty
> algorithmic programmer, I am very intolerant of inadequate software,
> and "roll my own" often becomes my best choice.

That's what I did... roll my own.  We're a lot alike, I guess.  There's
nothing I hate more than spending time learning (and inputting into) new
software only to find X number of limitations that are complete deal
breakers.  I just write my own most of the time, after a quick perusal
of the options.

I have a complete paperless personal finance tracker (from scanning
receipts/OCR through to accounting and c.card reconciliation) I've
written in perl/mysql (CLI/TUI based) over the past 8 years or so.
Ties into my QB I use for my business too (forced to use "real"
software for the business side for various reasons).  Saves me a bucket
of time.  I needed some "weird" features that wouldn't exist in any
package anyhow.

> If you're wondering why I have to leave FoxPro, it's because
> Microsoft is letting it disintegrate, despite it still being
> officially a currently supported product.  In fact, as I rudely

Hey, at least you're not in Brad's boat with MS Money, which they
officially completely ditched a few years back.  Funny that, foxpro
outlived Money.

If you write your own, they can never pull support on you!!  :-)
DIY-ers of the world unite!  (Off-the-shelfers grumble and relearn!)
:-)