[RndTbl] Firefox remote control / or headless js? MozRepl gone...

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Sep 8 00:24:43 CDT 2017

MozRepl, which I use to remotely control Firefox, is officially broken as
of FF55 and the devs say it won't be fixed and can't really work in the
future anyhow as FF ditches XPCOM.  That means I can't use
WWW::Mechanize::Firefox anymore (as demo'd (demoed? demod?...) in a MUUG
meeting a couple of years back).
(https://github.com/bard/mozrepl/issues/68#issuecomment-322212759)

So I'm left looking for alternatives... Anyone else know of / is using any
good progrmamatic browser remote-controllers?  Hopefully they'd support FF
and Perl, but I could convert/find workarounds if it supported different
browser/languages.

Also, beyond that, are there any good libraries /modules for interacting
with web pages "headless", that is, having the dom and js handled all in
memory without any actual browser or window showing?

I'd love to hear about personal experience / anecdotes, but just rattling
off some names to research would be helpful too.  Thanks!